The ”white screen of death” in WordPress is quite common for those who have worked with WordPress in their lives. It could be quite satisfactory for those who have never experienced the ‘white screen of death’ while working on the WordPress site. If you have been suffering from the WordPress WP-admin blank page or the ‘white screen of death’ in the WordPress site, then it could be quite frustrating for you. A blank page or the white screen can get you locked from accessing the WordPress dashboard. It can even make your dashboard look public and it might appear like a blank platform. You might think in the first instance that you have lost everything, but you should not lose hope.
What is the WordPress ‘white screen of death’?
The ‘white screen of death’ or the WordPress WP-admin blank page implies exactly as the name goes. You can consider the WordPress white screen and the Microsoft blue screen quite similar. They both signify the fact that something might have happened wrong on the WordPress site. However, to the relief of the WordPress site users, both of these issues can be resolved with much ease. The major point of distinction is that the WordPress WP-admin blank page does not show any error message. The troubleshooting and the debugging can be quite challenging while dealing with the WordPress ‘white screen of death’. This is because of the fact that there is no more information apart the notification that “the screen has gone white, so something must be broken”.
What are the Causes of the WordPress ‘white screen of death’?
If you have been suffering from WordPress WP-admin blank page or the WordPress ‘white screen of death’, then there could be several factors that might be the cause of the same. Usually, the experts suggest that the top factors or causes could be:
- An error that could be generated by the WordPress plugin
- An error that could be generated by the WordPress theme
- Some types of errors with the databases
The first two factors can be considered to the main reasons for the WordPress ‘white screen of death’. As they are quite common, they are also quite easy to diagnose them as well.
Ways to Fix the ‘white screen of death’ in WordPress
If you wish to fix the problem of the WordPress WP-admin blank page or the ‘white screen of death’ on your WordPress site, then you might some specific tools to achieve the same. Here are some of them:
An FTP Client:
If you are not a pro at WordPress, then you might not know what an FTP client is. It can be considered to be a back door that can help in accessing your website as you might not have the relevant access to your web browser anymore. In such cases, you can make use of the FTP clients for the purpose of the transfer of files to and from the web host. There are several FTP clients available on the Internet that can work on several mediums like Windows, Mac, Linux and can also come for free.
A Code Editor:
However, this tool might not come too handy when you are dealing with WordPress WP-admin blank page still, you can use it if there is some code error that you might need to debug. You can make use of the code editor for the quick identification of the syntax errors, if any in the site plugin. The code editor can also be used if the theme code that you are using might have been observed properly. If you are not a pro in coding, you might think of taking an expert or professional help to initiate the troubleshooting process. There are several code editors available on the online platform that can help you with the proper handling of the WordPress WP-admin blank page or the WordPress ‘white screen of death’.
Do You Have Access to the WordPress Admin?
One of the most important considerations that you need to make is that you have proper access to the WordPress Admin. If you have been facing problems with the WordPress WP-admin blank page even in the admin pages, then you might need to involve the FTP client. If you are able to access the WP-admin then you can eliminate the issue of the WordPress WP-admin blank page with the following tips:
- Deactivate the newly upgraded or the newly installed plugins. If you can login to the dashboard, then you need to navigate to the plugin screen and then deactivate all the plugins that have been recently installed, upgraded or changed.
- Deactivate all other plugins as well. You can try by deactivating some plugins at a time and then testing your system for the correction if any.
- Change your theme or the database. Troubleshooting of the databases might involve changing the WordPress theme. You could change to any of the default themes of the WordPress like Twenty Eleven, Twenty Ten and so more.
- Check into the server and the configuration issues of the cache. When you have reached the advanced stage of the WordPress ‘white screen of death’ issue, then you can contact the web host of your site to look into the issues of they are occurring at the server level. If you are making use of a caching plugin on your site, then you can flush out the cache of the site to restore the things and special features.
- Perform troubleshooting for any kind of database issues. However, you must also ensure that you have performed a recent backup of the database of the site before making any considerable changes.
To resolve the problem of the WordPress WP-admin blank page or the WordPress ‘white screen of death’, you can take help from the tips as mentioned above. The experts also recommend that you must perform the regular backup of your site and the database to prevent any major loss.